Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Dentist

Brianna had her first dentist appointment on Monday. It was time for me to go again so I scheduled a check up/cleaning for her as well. I was a bit apprehensive about how it would go mainly because I dread going to the dentist every 6 months and now poor Brianna has to go through the same thing and I was afraid she would hate it just as much. We talked about it a bit before going and she has been a few times with my mom so she kind of knew what to expect. When we arrived the hygienist asked her who should go first. Brianna of course said, "Mommy!" So, I climbed in the chair and Brianna stood by my side the entire time rubbing my arm and leg and asking they hygienist a million questions. Seriously, she didn't stop talking the entire time. Even Dr. Rhodenbaugh was laughing at her and he was in the next "room". When I got up to spit the remains of the fluoride out in the sink, I turned around and Brianna had hopped in the chair. Not wanting to waste any of her excitement, we decided that the hygienist (Jean - Brianna asked her name. Of course!) said I could wait to have Dr. Rhodenbaugh check my teeth until Brianna was finished. Brianna was most scared that the bright light would hurt her eyes. Jean was prepared! She opened a drawer and pulled out a pair of shades for Brianna to wear (which was hilarious - see pic below). Brianna let her do everything with out crying or complaining. They checked and counted her teeth, cleaned them with strawberry paste (Brianna faked laughed the whole time this was going on b/c it tickled!), rinsed, and flossed them. When Dr. Rhodenbaugh came in Brianna took a look at him and said, "Hey, are you Andy's Daddy?" She loves Andy. You may have seen him in a prior blog. Andy's is her Uncle David's best friend and we've known the Rhodenbaugh family for what seems like forever! He laughed and said, "Yes, I am!" After he checked our teeth, he took the time to pose for a picture with Brianna. What is usually a dreadful hour for me turned out to be quite fun and amusing!!!

Brianna with the shades on ready for cleaning!


Jean cleaning Brianna's teeth (Shades are still on)


Dr. Rhodenbaugh AKA Andy's Daddy with Brianna after the check up

2 comments:

Emily Geyer said...

um, this is so awesome. I miss her so much! (do I say that every time I comment on your blog??) Hillarious!

Kary said...

Very nice!! what a big girl! Love the shades! I remember that same feeling of dread when taking Mason the first time. Mason is just like Brianna...he was awesome. I have yet to take Carson...I shiver at the thought! ha!