Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vacation Bible School

This summer was the first year that our church offered Vacation Bible School. I was super excited because I always loved going to VBS growing up. I remember that my mom was always very involved in the church and would volunteer to help out during this week. So, I signed Brianna up and registered to volunteer. I wasn't sure what to volunteer for so I let them pick for me.  Wouldn't you know......they assigned me to be the Group Leader (Teacher) for one of the three pre-school classes (yes, there were that many kids!). I immediately was overwhelmed when they gave me the teaching materials. Each night was a 5-6 page lesson that we had to teach. I thought I was going to have to call in sick to work so that I could study. Our theme was Ancient Egypt. We studied Joseph's journey from prison to palace. Part of being a teacher was wearing Egyptian attire. Fun, fun....All in all the week turned out to be a success. It was probably the craziest week of the summer. I think they call it Vacation Bible School because you need to take a vacation when it's over!


Highlights from the week include:
- Wearing an Egyptian robe that was shorter than my shorts- Yes, it looked funny and yes, I rocked it all week when some others ditched the costume after the first day! The kids loved it and that's all that mattered!
- Having one of my kids fall asleep on the first day within the first 5 minutes of the teaching the lession.
- Carrying all the coin pouches * side note* Each child had an Egyptian coin pouch to carry coins so when they went to the Marketplace they could pay to make crafts at the different craft stations. They also could carry their crafts in them. Well, as you know pre-schoolers don't like to carry anything! So, by the end of the evening. We'd be carrying all of the coin pouches!
- After carrying the coin pouches at the end of the night discovering that some of the kids had gone rock hunting.
- Watching our Youth Leader Andrew try and teach the pre-school kids how to play tag and leap frog. First off, with tag all the kids just chased Andrew around. They totally didn't understand. With leap frog, they couldn't jump high or far enough so when they tried to jump over a kid, their butt would come down on the other kids head slamming it into the ground. It was entertaining!
- Having a kid burst out in the middle of a lesson singing "How Great is our God"  and then without missing a beat break into "Single Ladies" by Beyonce and having half the class join in with the second song.
- Todd's high school helper who had a crush on him
- Sniffing around the snack buffet trying to find out what food is rotting and figuring out it wasn't the food it was the lady serving it.

Todd,  Lindsay, and me (pre-school teachers)


Lindsay and Bailey
Rocking my Egyptian robe!

1 comment:

Kary said...

sounds like a lot of fun!! :)